Pregnancy is a time when you want your body to be as healthy and as vital as it can be, for both you and your baby.
Michelle is a naturopath & an acupuncturist who uses skills from both modalities to advise you on the best way to prepare for conception, as well as providing you with support during your pregnancy. Michelle uses a combination of herbal medicine, acupuncture, nutritional medicine, kinesiology,flower essences and lifestyle counselling in her treatments.
Conditions treated in pregnancy include threatened miscarriage, morning sickness, anxiety, migraines/headaches, sciatic pain, high blood pressure and insomnia. In the last four weeks of pregnancy, acupuncture can help prepare you for childbirth. It is believed it does this by improving blood flow to the uterus and cervix, and by helping to strengthen & regulate contractions during labour. For more information on using acupuncture to prepare for labour you can click here.
Michelle also offers pregnancy massage in a calm and relaxed environment. For more information about this you can click here.
How Acupuncture can help you during pregnancy
Acupuncture may help you to have a healthier pregnancy and labour:
- In the first trimester, acupuncture may help reduce morning sickness, fatigue, migraines and headaches.
- In the second trimester, acupuncture may assist with heartburn, haemorrhoids, neck/shoulder/back pain, pelvic instability and anxiety.
- And in the third trimester, acupuncture may help to provide relief from back pain, sciatica, hypertension, fluid retention, insomnia and help prepare your body for labour.
Preparation for Labour
- In the last four to six weeks of pregnancy, acupuncture treatment may help to prepare the uterus and cervix for labour.
- It is thought it does this by ripening the cervix, softening tendons and ligaments and increasing energy and stamina which may result in a more natural birth.
- Click here for more information about research on the use of acupuncture to prepare for labour.
Acupuncture post-birth may also help promote breast milk production and repair scar tissue. Acupuncture may be of assistance with symptoms of post-natal depression, general fatigue and low energy after childbirth. Acupuncture is thought to build and strengthen Qi (vital energy) in the body, which is often quite depleted after pregnancy and child birth.